- Voter Registration
- You are 18 years or older on Election Day
- You are not restricted from voting
- You are a U.S. citizen
- You have lived in the Village of Cross Plains for at least 28 days prior to Election Day
You cannot vote if you have:
- Already voted in that election
- Been convicted of a felony and not restored to civil rights
- Been judged incompetent
What You Need to Register
You must provide a Wisconsin Department of Transportation-issued driver's license number. If the elector has not been issued a Wisconsin driver's license, they must provide the last four digits of their Social Security Number or their Wisconsin state ID card number.
The registration form has to be mailed at least 20 days or more prior to the date of election.
Individuals may register at the Village Hall up until 5 p.m. on the Friday prior to the election. Proof of residence is required if registration is filed within 20 days of the election.
Anyone wishing to vote in the State of Wisconsin, where they are required to register, has three options to register:
Complete an Application for Voter Registration (PDF).
Mail to the Village Hall at:
P.O. Box 97
Cross Plains, WI 53528
The application must be postmarked no later than the 20th day before the election. Proof of residence is not required for mail in registrations (except for first time Wisconsin voters).
First Time Wisconsin Voters Only
State and Federal law now requires that any first-time voter submitting a registration application by mail must provide a copy of an acceptable identifying document that provides Proof of Residence (PDF). (A “first-time voter” is an individual who has not voted in an election in Wisconsin.) Please note that first-time voters registering by mail may not use a residential lease as proof of residence. The copy of the form of proof of residence must be included when submitting the registration application. If a copy of proof of residence is not included, the elector will be required to supply it at the polling place on election day.
Registration is available at the Village Hall until 5 p.m. the Friday before the election. If you are registering during the open registration period (20 days or more before the election) you do not need to provide proof of residence. If you are registering in the late registration period (20 days before election) you must provide proof of residence.
At the Polling Place on Election Day
Day of election registration is available at the Polling Place. Forms are available to be completed by the voter and proof of residence must be provided.
Providing Proof of Residence
More information on proof of residence is provided as well as examples of proof of residence through the attached forms from the Wisconsin Election Commission. The following constitutes acceptable proof of residence:
- An affidavit on public or private social service agency letterhead identifying a homeless voter and describing the individual’s residence for voting purposes
- Any identification card issued by an employer in the normal course of business and bearing a photo of the card holder, but not including a business card
- Any other official identification card or license issued by a Wisconsin governmental body or unit;
- Bank statement
- A check or other document issued by a unit of government
- A current and valid Wisconsin driver license or identification card
- A gas, electric, or telephone service statement (utility bill) for the period commencing no earlier than 90 days before Election Day
- A real estate tax bill or receipt for the current year or the year preceding the date of the election
- Residential lease that is effective on date of registration. (Not valid if registering by mail.)
- A university, college, or technical college identification card (must include photo) only if the voter provides a fee receipt dated within the last 9 months or the institution provides a certified housing list to the municipal clerk
Bobbi ZaunerFinance Director / ClerkPhone: 608-798-3241, ext. 106
Renee BrattonDeputy Clerk - TreasurerPhone: 608-798-3241, ext. 102