Building Permits & Inspections

The Village of Cross Plains contracts with Johnson Inspection for our building inspection needs.

What requires a building permit?

A building permit is required for:

  • Constructing any new residential or commercial building
  • An addition or change to the exterior of your building including:
    • Adding a screened porch or deck
    • Any type of electrical, heating or plumbing work
    • Building any accessory structure (garage, shed* or chicken coop)
    • Installing a fence*
    • Installing or altering a driveway*
    • Installing a swimming pool, whirlpool or hot tub
    • Re-roofing*
    • Re-siding*
    • Replacing windows*
  • An addition or change to the interior of your building including:
    • Any type of electrical, heating or plumbing work
    • Bathroom or kitchen remodeling and/or alterations
    • Finishing an unfinished basement
    • Hot tub or whirlpool installation
    • Installation of wood stoves and fireplaces
    • Replacement of a furnace or central air conditioner
    • Replacement of water heaters and water softeners*

*These building permits require a different application that is handled within the Village Office and not through Johnson Inspections.

How do I apply for a building permit?

If you are applying for a building permit that will require an inspection (any of the permits above that do not include an *), you will need to apply through Johnson Inspections. Permits are handled at:

johnson inspection logoFences and sheds are applied for by using our Fence & Shed Permit Application

Water softener replacement, window replacement (windows must be the same size as the ones being removed), siding replacement and re-roofing, you can apply by using our Building permit application - Village Staff review